Friday, May 01, 2009

Spring Break 2009 or What happened to my vacation

Well, it is Friday afternoon of Spring Break 2009. We have what seems like a busy week but looking back more closely I realize that not much actually got accomplished on my to-do list. Here are a few brief highlights.

  • We spent the kick off weekend in New Jersey and New York. We had a nice lunch with David's aunt and spent the afternoon with our good friends, the W's, on Saturday. Annika would not sleep in the pack and play so she ended up in bed with us (never a good thing in my book). On Sunday we took a leisurely stroll through the Bronx Zoo. Don't know if you have ever been there, but that place is entirely to big. It was in the low 90s with a slight breeze and little shade since the trees haven't completely leafed out yet. I was so excited to go there and it ended up totally kicking my butt for the next few days.
  • Bill the Painter arrived at our house on Monday morning and finished up today at around 3:00. We now only have one room in our house with white walls. He is coming back at another time to hit a couple other places. He did a great job so if you ever need a painter let me know and I will get you his number.
  • I spent part of Tuesday afternoon in the emergency room. I have learned a few things from this experience. 1) The doctors and nurses at the hospital I have been avoiding are much friendlier and funnier than at the emergency room I usually go to (unfortunately this is something that seems to happen about every 6 to 8 months) 2) Never make a joke with the doctor's office nurses about the swine flu (sorry, H1N1) when you have fatigue and achy joints 3) being a medical oddity makes them do tests that they really don't see necessary, sometimes just because you often fall into the 1 of the "1 in 1000" warnings is enough to do it 4) A nasal flu swab is not as bad as they make it sound 5) I was not the first confirmed case of swine flu (sorry H1N1) in New Hampshire. It was decided that I was just tired from my excursion through the zoo and being out of shape (not their wording of course), but a couple days later I am fairly sure I have some kind of stomach bug (but no respiratory signs, so no worries). Needless to say, I napped every afternoon and went to bed early a couple of nights.
  • I think I like the name swine flu better than H1N1. H1N1 sounds like some kind of computer virus. I am getting very tired of hearing about it at this point.
  • I was going to include our charming VP Mr Biden in the statement above but think that he deserves his own bullet. I have been waiting for about 100 days for him to say something that would result in him not getting to speak in public any more. Think he may have done it this week. I always enjoy the look of dread on President Obama's face when ever they appear in public and Joe is speaking. Too bad no one was there to stop him on the Today show. Maybe the majority of Americans realize you can't listen to a word he says.
  • Last but not least, I had LASIK surgery yesterday. It worked well but was a very strange experience which I will have to talk about later since I have a small Chinese person melting down at my feet right now.

Pictures and Annika updates to follow soon

No comments: