Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Almost Chinese, part two

Yesterday I went to Wal-Mart to pick up a new pair of glasses (no more contacts for me UGHHHHH!!). I had Annika strapped into the ergo (because I was hoping she would take a nap). The nice girl at the vision center made a comment on my height (always one of my favorite subjects UGHHHH!!!) and asked how tall I am. She then asked how tall David is. She looked very surprised when I told her that he was also 6'3" (seemed odd at the time). Then she said, boy your little girl is going to be really tall. I guess she thought that Annika is my biological child and I am married to a very tall Asian man. I (stupidly) corrected her and said she was adopted. This is when the questions started. She was very polite so I didn't mind, but I wonder how far I could have taken the biological thing.

I don't get how you can look at Annika and not realize that she is Chinese. The beautiful, deep brown, almond eyes should be enough to give it away. What about the silky, shoulder length dark hair (okay, I know most one year olds don't have shoulder length hair but thought I would rub it in LOL)? Look at the rest of us in the family picture and look at her, do you see a physical resemblance? I don't see it (she is much cuter than the adults, although she's running neck in neck with her brother). I know that she shares our love of food and napping. She has a blackberry addiction just like her father and talks all the time like her brother.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one gorgeous family snapshot. Can't wait to meet A next weekend, she's grown up so much.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture... such a great picture, for such a great family!!!

Redheaded Chick said...

I can relate to this a bit. People often tell me that Bella doesn't look "that Asian", whatever that means!

Angela said...

What a great picture! You guys look so wonderful!