Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Keepin' it real

Lately I have been feeling like this adoption is not really happening. Not in a "China-is-going-to-close-and-we-will-not-be-getting-a-baby" way, but in a "oh-yeah-I-forgot-we-went-through-a-homestudy" way. For example, this afternoon I was thinking that if it weren't for the blogs I follow and the random, infrequent emails from my agency DTC group, I could probably forget about the whole thing. When I had Alex, I knew that it would be around nine months and then there would be a new little person in our family. Plus there were constant reminders that someone was on the way: growing belly, heartburn, back problems, fluttering baby movements. This time the only reminder is a monthly email from our agency telling us that some other unknown families have received their referrals (YEAH FOR THEM!!!) and the length of the wait is unknown and they want us all to know that they are here for us.

So my question for you all is: How do you keep it real? Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

M3 said...

To be honest I went through a 4-month period there in the middle where I was just disgusted with the whole thing and SO cynical. I barely even believed it was going to happen. Luckily it wasn't 4 months of solid grimness, it kind of went up and down. The bloggy friends helped a lot, and having a big local adoptive parents group. And chocolate.