Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Penguin Plunge


I am once again preparing myself to go jump in to the Atlantic for Special Olympics. I will be taking the plunge on Superbowl Sunday at Hampton Beach. If your in the area that day, let me know and you can meet us for lunch afterward at our annual visit to Brown's (YUM YUM).

As many of you know, it has been unusually warm this winter which would seem like a benefit when you are getting ready to take a dip in the ocean in the first weekend of February. Today the water temperature at Hampton Beach is 47 degrees (refreshingly bone chilling!!). I keep thinking that it would be better for the air temperature to be colder than the water temperature so that the water won't feel as bad after standing on the beach for 10 minutes in my swimming suit. It isn't too bad actually. Everything goes numb pretty quickly once you get in the water. You just have to make sure that you wear shoes or socks because the sand really hurts your feet when it is that cold. If you are brave enough to go under the water, it takes your breath instantly which is a little startling (found this out the first year). There is a heated tent on the beach where you change afterwards and I am usually feeling pretty good once I have on dry clothes.
If you would like to sponser me in the plunge, send me an email and I will give you the address for the website.

No comments: