Sunday, January 01, 2006

Penguin Plunge


When I was younger I always thought it would be fun to be one of those Polar Bear club people. You know them, the crazy people that go jump into a lake or the ocean in the middle of the winter. Well, up here in New England, Special Olympics has a fund raiser called the Penguin Plunge. Everyone goes to Hampton Beach, NH on the first Sunday of February and runs into the Atlantic Ocean. I had to take advantage of this opportunity, I could do something crazy that I had always wanted to do and raise money for my favorite charity at the same time. So, I gave it a shot last year. It was a warm day (30 degrees) so it didn't seem so bad until we hit the water. I, of course, fell down as soon as the first wave hit above my knees. OMG, I have never had every part of my body instantly go numb. I had to be helped up because I was so cold that I couldn't get my footing in the waves. That is me in the orange swimsuit below being helped walk to the beach by the guy in the wetsuit (No, he's not a dwarf, I am 6'3" so I always make everyone look short).


I am planning on taking the plunge again this year. It is going to be the same Sunday as the Super Bowl and I am hoping for a warm day again. If you would like to sponsor me, I have put a link my plunge website with the links on the right.

2 comments:

M3 said...

Whoa, you are one crazy lady!!! 30 degrees, sheesh. :-)

Happy New Year to you too! Glad to see you're back!

Stephanie V said...

Holy Cow you're a brave woman!

I'm so glad you're back. I missed you!