Thursday, June 29, 2006

Summer

Summer vacation has finally begun. It drives me crazy to be in school until the middle of June. In Kansas and Texas, they usually get out at the end of May and for some reason my mind thinks that is how it should be.

Anyway, we have a brand new graduate in our family. Alex finished kindergarten on June 16.

David and I both took the day off so that we could spend the afternoon celebrating at the beach (Alex and I building sand castles, David napping). A good time was had by all. Alex was sad because he will be going to a new school in a different town than all of his school friends. He goes to the new school today for first grade screening and will hopefully start to meet some new friends there.

Now we have moved on to swim lessons. He has them four days a week for two weeks. My only regret is that we didn't schedule them earlier in the morning. They are only 30 minutes long but don't start until 10:30. He is doing a great job. Last year at this time he wouldn't go into the water without being attached to an adult, yesterday he started back floating without help. His goal is to be on the Y swim team some day.

We are planning a beach day tomorrow (if it doesn't rain). Alex and I would live there during the summer if we could. After 33 years away from the beach I need to go as much as possible now to make up for lost time. Is it bad that I am 35 and love to play in the sand? I bought a sand castle kit for Alex (yeah right, it is for me) that is really cool. It is different sized metal rings that you stack and fill with sand. Here is an example of our hard work.

I build the castles and Alex specializes in water features. He spends most of his time dragging a bucket to and from the water.

We are also going to the beach on Saturday for our agencies picnic. If you will be there let me know so that we will know to look for you. We will be the really tall family with an over abundance of sand toys who are staring longingly at the Chinese children.

2 comments:

Dani said...

Carrie, We LOVE the beach too. We lived in Virginia Beach for years when Larry was in the Navy. The kids were babies so we didnt go as much as we would have liked but it was a blast when we did go.

Congrats on graduation Alex!

M3 said...

Wow, you guys build wicked cool sand castles!!! Can I play? :-)

Have fun at the picnic!